Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Greenling Quickfire Round Three

Tonight's Surprise Me Greenling ingredient is Carrot Radishes!

A super fun vegetable with a spicy crunch and kick.

My inspiration for tonight's dish is primarily based on finding these yummy sweet potato and buckwheat noodles at the local HEB. I love asian veggies over soba noodles and decided tonight would be a fun chance to try out some fun new ingredients.




I started the dish tonight by slicing up the radishes and pickling in a brown rice organic vinegar with a little Maldon sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

I placed the bowl in the fridge while prepping the rest of dinner and after taste testing I did add a little green onion to the radishes for good measure and to add a little more flavor.

I normally use these type of radishes for dipping as part of a veggie platter, but my goal for tonight was to feature them in my main dish and not as a snack.

*confession - I did snack on 3 of them during the prep of this dish - Too delicious not to!



While the a dishes were pickling, I pulled some fantastic looking kale from my Greenling box and decided to sauté it with some apple cider vinegar.

After adding the cider vinegar, and seasoning with salt and pepper the scent of apples gave me a great idea. I found some granny smith apples in the fridge, peeled, cored and sliced them and added into the sauté pan.

My favorite kale dish is my Mom's recipe for Portugese Kale Soup, but this new apples and kale sauté is a close second.

Super yummy fall seasonal treat.

The sautéed kale came out super amazing delicious. I will definitely be making this dish again. The acidic balance balanced nicely with the fresh and tart sweetness of the cooked down apples.

My only regret is using up the kale and not having leftovers to make Portugese Kale soup this weekend (as previously planned).

I'll have to order extra kale for next week's box!








I boiled the sweet potato and buckwheat noodles and drained them over the sink. I then drained the radishes from the fridge and reserved the vinegar and tossed with the noodles.

Topped the noodles with the fridge pickled radishes and this yummy cold noodle dish was born.

I give it a solid A and my daughter loved the new noodle and radish dish. The sweet potato flavor of the noodles paired well with the bite of the radish.

The kale dish (a bonus) was also an instant win.

I'm all set with a happy full veggie belly to watch tonight's episode of Top Chef.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.